For those of you with sewing skills, you can sew elimination communication clothing, accessories, cloth diapers, and training pants for your baby or toddler. This list of DIY sewing patterns and tutorials from around the web includes both free patterns and patterns available for purchase.
We included EC sewing patterns for:
- Elimination Communication Pants (Trousers)
- Baby tee shirts
- Baby sleep gowns
- Baby sleep sack
- Diaper belts
- Cloth diapers and covers
- Training pants
- Small underwear
- Baby leg warmers
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
DIY Sewing Patterns for Elimination Communication Split Pants (Trousers)
The photo above shows a pair of split crotch pants made from the Do-it-yourself EC pattern, with added ankle cuffs. This pattern could use a bit of refining, so you might like the results better on your second attempt. These split crotch pants worked well when my son was out picking apples in chilly weather and did not always make it back inside in time to use the potty.
- Three Seam Split Crotch Pants and FREE Pattern by Do-it-yourself EC.
- One Size Split Crotch Trousers PDF Sewing Pattern by Little Bunny Bear
- Longies Pattern by Katrina's Sew Quick Soaker Pattern
- Recycled Wool Sweater Longies Instructions by Do-it-yourself EC
- Easy Up and Down Pants with FREE Pattern and Instructions by Do-it-yourself EC
- Make your own Elimination Communication split-pants for your kiddo from Tights from Offbeat Home & Life
DIY Sewing Patterns for Diaper Belts
Here are a few options for a diaper belt, which can be worn around Baby's waist to hold a prefold or flat diaper in place.
- Adjustable Nappy Diaper Belt PDF Sewing Pattern by Little Bunny Bear
- Making a Nappy or Prefold Belt by Noonee Wilga
In this video I show DIY options for diaper belts and cloth diapers to use as backup for elimination communication:
DIY Sewing Patterns for Cloth Diapers and Covers
- Newborn Preflat sewing pattern by The Happy Hippos
- One Size Preflat Sewing Pattern by The Happy Hippos
- How to Sew Prefold Cloth Diapers by We Have Kids
- FREE Prefolds Cloth Diapers Sewing Pattern by Fluff Store (in German)
- Newborn Fitted Diaper PDF Sewing Pattern by TheEliMonster
- Trimsies Side Snapping Fitted Diaper Pattern (S, M, L) by SewMeAGarden
- Drop-Flap Nappy Cover PDF Sewing Pattern by Little Bunny Bear
- Simple EC Diaper Cover & FREE Pattern by Dairy-Free Breastmilk
- Cloth Diapers and Covers by BaaBaaBaby
- Katrina's Sew Quick Soaker Pattern for wool soaker
- One Size Wool Wrap Diaper Cover PDF Pattern by Wolly Mother Wolf
In this video I demonstrate how to sew stretchy flat cloth diapers, inserts, prefolds, and fitted diapers:
DIY Sewing Patterns for Elimination Communication Training Pants
- Trimsies Cloth Training Pants Pattern by SewMeAGarden
- Non-Waterproof Tiny Trainers with FREE Pattern by Do-it-yourself EC
- Waterproof Training Pants with FREE Pattern by Do-it-yourself EC
- Wool-in-Two Training Pants with FREE Pattern by Do-it-yourself EC
- One-wet Trainers (for EC) Tutorial by A Hippy with a Mini Van
- Onewet Pants by Noonee Wilga
- Dropflap Pants by Noonee Wilga
DIY Sewing Patterns for Baby Leg Warmers
- Footed Baby Leg Warmers Sewing Pattern by Brindille and Twig
- Baby or Toddler Leg Warmers Sewing Pattern by Peanut Patterns
- Baby Leg Warmers Knitting Pattern by Alabaster Purl
- How to Make Your Own Baby Leg Warmers by Hobo Mama
- DIY Ruffled Leg Warmers from Skip to my Lou
- PDF Sewing Pattern DIY Baby Leg Warmers by Little Bunny Bear
If you know how to read German, or don't mind translating, Fluff Store offers sewing patterns for drop-flap cloth diapers, training pants, chaps, split pants, and more!
For fabric, you could either upcycle used fabric or check Wazoodle Fabrics.
That wraps up our list of elimination communication sewing patterns. You can get more inspiration regarding EC-friendly baby outfits by reading our post on Elimination Communication Clothing for Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer. Or you may want to read our list of Elimination Communication Supplies.
Would you like to receive tips on cloth diapering and elimination communication?
Learn more about Elimination Communication
Let's Chat about EC...
Have you tried sewing EC clothing from any of these patterns? Do you know of another pattern or tutorial to add to the list?